Elements puzzle Pangahono huānga
- Mental health
- Relationships and Sexuality Education
- Personal health and physical development
- Relationships With Other People
- Healthy Communities and Environments
- Attitudes and values
- Health promotion
- Socio-ecological perspective
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Years 5–8
- Years 9–10
Explore and understand the elements. By matching the Puzzle pieces with the correct elements, learners will get to know and understand the names, content and concepts within the framework. Developing a shared language of social and emotional learning will help support learner progress. Learners will also interpret the meaning of the elements using their culture and identity.
Ata — Resource collection
This activity is part of the Ata resource collection.
- 1-2 lessons
- Individual or groups
- Show knowledge of the names, content and concepts of the elements.
- Explore and discuss different perspectives.
- Create interpretations of the elements using their culture and identity.
Ways to use the resource
- For younger learners, use the backs of the Element and puzzle piece cards as a visual puzzle. Turn over the horizontal strips to reveal the related content for each element.
- Select fewer elements to reduce difficulty.
- Encourage learners to relate the elements in their own way.
What you will need
2–10 Element cards + Puzzle pieces
2–10 Element puzzle activity sheets
1. Select Elements
Choose which elements you want to explore in this session. The more elements you select, the more challenging the activity will be for learners.
Take the selected elements and their Puzzle pieces out of the box.
2. Prepare activity sheets
You’ll need to print or photocopy one Element puzzle activity sheet for each element you’re exploring.
Lay all the activity sheets out and place one Element card on each sheet.
Shuffle all the Puzzle pieces together and then lay them out. Next, the group needs to decide which Puzzle pieces go with which elements.
4. Discuss & customise
Using the blank cards or group discussion, encourage the group to interpret the elements using their own words, images, proverbs, references or symbolism from their culture.
Ata Blank Cards
Blank Ata cards in an A3-size printable format. Use for capturing ideas and customising the resource.
Pdf, 234 KB
Ata Elements cards jpgs
The Ata Elements cards in jpg format.
Ata Elements cards printable
The Ata Elements cards on print-friendly A3-size pages. Files are in pdf format.
Ata Elements puzzle activity sheets
The A3-size Ata Elements puzzle activity sheets in pdf format.
Pdf, 249 KB
Ata Elements puzzle cards jpgs
A complete set of all the Ata Elements puzzle cards in jpg format.
Ata Elements puzzle cards printable
A complete set of all the Elements puzzle cards on print-friendly A3-size pages. Files are in pdf format.
Ata Elements puzzle teacher support material
Teacher support material for the Ata Elements puzzle activity.
Pdf, 439 KB
- Use the Developing strategies, Approaching challenges and Learning stories resources to develop relevant learning experiences.
- Once introduced, elements could be discussed and applied in the context of different Learning areas, e.g. How do we collaborate in Maths?