Important life moments Ngā wā nui o tōku oranga
- Mental health
- Relationships and Sexuality Education
- Personal health and physical development
- Relationships With Other People
- Healthy Communities and Environments
- Attitudes and values
- Health promotion
- Socio-ecological perspective
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Years 5–8
- Years 9–10
Explore how important events in our lives have shaped our identities. Using the Oho My events, My time and My identity cards, the Ata Impact and Emotion cards, and the Important life moments activity sheet, explore how events and our responses to them have shaped who we are.
Oho — Resource collection
This activity is part of the Oho resource collection.
- 1-2 lessons
- Individual or groups
- Explore the personal and wider cultural connections between place, language, time, events, people and identity.
- Express and listen to ideas confidently.
- Describe themselves in relation to the groups within their class and to the whole class.
- Explore and discuss similarities and differences and how they contribute to the unique whānau, culture and identities of each class member.
- Identify personal strengths of theirs and others.
- Develop a deeper understanding of their whānau and personal histories.
- Investigate the factors that shape our identities and how.
- Identify different ways identities, languages, cultures and values are and could be represented in learning communities.
Ways to use the resource
- Connect this activity to Enriching Local Curriculum (ELC) by exploring the names of the places you visit.
- Centre these activities around relevant global, national or community places, events or themes.
- Try the activities as an individual, as a small group and as a whole class.
- Use the resources at home to get a deeper understanding of whānau culture.
- Capture outputs in a format of your choice.
- Use insights from these conversations in your learning design.
- If you don’t have the Ata resource, download and print the cards from hpe.tki.org.nz/ata or use the blank Oho cards to create your own.
- Use significant events that took place in your region or community.
What you will need
Oho My events, My time and My identity cards.
Ata Impact and Emotion cards.
Important life moments activity sheet: One per person or group.
1. Prepare cards
This activity uses a combination of Oho and Ata cards. Add or remove My events, My time, Impact (Ata), Emotions (Ata) and My identity cards to suit the context of your classroom.
2. Prepare activity sheets
Print or photocopy one Important life moments activity sheet for each person or group.
Choose an event that is particularly meaningful to you or your whānau. For example, it might be something that has been on your mind lately. Maybe it’s something you’ve done, something you want to do, something you want to find more about or something that is requiring focus.
Place cards on the activity sheet. Discuss why each selection was made and how it relates to the other cards. We suggest introducing the card types, one set at a time, as you work through the steps.
1. My events
Select a My events card that represents a meaningful event.
2. My time
Select a My time card that represents when this did or will take place.
Select an Impact card that represents what was or will be significant about this event.
Select an Emotion card that represents how this did or might make you feel.
5. My identity
Select a My identity card that represents how this has shaped or will shape who you are.
Discuss and compare
Explore the different perspectives and ideas around events, impacts, emotions and identity. Then, discuss and compare your findings with the group or classroom.
Oho Important life moments activity sheet
The A3-size Oho Important life moments activity sheet in pdf format.
Pdf, 96 KB
Oho Important life moments teacher support material
Teacher support material for the Oho Important life moments activity.
Pdf, 365 KB
Oho Important life moments Cards jpgs
The Oho Important life moments cards in jpg format.
Oho Important life moments Cards Printable
The Oho Important life moments cards on print-friendly A3-size pages. Files are in pdf format.
Oho Blank Cards Printable
Blank Oho cards in an A3-size printable format. Use for capturing ideas and customising the resource.
Pdf, 385 KB
Explore other aspects of Identities, languages, cultures and values with activities such as My unique whānau, My whānau in my place of learning and My culture in my place of learning.